Sunday, June 11, 2017

ANOTHER TRIP TO THE GARDEN AND A BIT OF A RAMBLE


We will be going here again this coming week, if it is not too hot.  It is supposed to be in the 90s and if the humidity comes with it, I might be sticking in air conditioned places instead.  Or I may put my big girl walking boots on and throw caution to the winds.


When I am walking around, I never know what will catch my eye.  Almost without realizing it, I am always on the look out.  This time it was a new red leaf that had not turned green yet.


Or this 'almost a heart-shape' that I only discovered after we had returned home.  
(A lovely photo Gregg took, the gazebo too.)


The Koi are always fun to observe.  When we walk to the other gazebo on the lake, they seem to follow us.  You can buy food at the visitor center to feed them.  I am sure they think lunch is coming.







I don't remember seeing this one before, though he looks like he has been here for a while.



And then of course there are the turtles.  This one didn't like a much smaller one cutting in front of him and we saw as he grabbed its shell and pushed him out of the way.  He was quite large with a lot of moss growing on his shell.


There were more smaller turtles in another lake. 


I looked for frogs among the lilypads, but there were none to be found.


Other turtles had found another big log to climb on.  We noticed that many of the larger trees had been cut down in various parts of the garden.


One of our musically inclined cicadas.  They create a very loud chorus when the hot weather arrives.



Way up on the top of the pagoda roof is a mockingbird.  We strolled through the Peace Garden on our way back to the visitor center.  Not a close one of the bird but I liked the lines of the roof.  Gregg took this photo also.


I have started seeing chipmunks on our deck at home.  One was not long ago scurrying around.  I only put out water this time of the year and do not fill the feeders.  They and our other backyard friends have plenty of food in the natural world, and though I love the sight of them and my instincts are to feed the world, I don't want to attract as many raccoons as there have been in the past.  We have had foxes and a family of skunks, and even a few sightings of bears in the area (a very unusual occurrence as we are part of a very built up housing community). We also have a lot of dogs and cats in the neighborhood and I worry about each side of this spectrum. I don't think my neighbors' domestic pets and the wildlife would mix very well, as much as I would like for them all to get along. 

Another sighting going back a few days now, and didn't have time for a photo, was a hummingbird.  It was mostly green and to say I was very surprised and nearly fell out of my shoes, is an understatement.  I was delighted!  Gregg and I are painting one of the bedrooms upstairs, and as I was sanding the sills I saw a flash of something not too far from the window.  As I looked I could see this tiny bird hovering in one spot among a few dead branches of one of our trees, and as I focused and could see what it was, it disappeared out of sight into the cover of the leaves higher up.  It was a lovely sighting and the first time I have seen a hummingbird in our backyard, ever!

Today we have had company on two occasions.  This morning our son popped over.  It was a nice surprise as we had only just seen him last Thursday and we knew he was going to be having a busy week.  He was here for about three hours, long enough to have a lovely visit and then he went off to pick up our daughter-in-law.  We will be seeing the two of them together next week when we all go out for dinner.

This afternoon one of our nephews came by.  Another lovely visit and the time went by fast.  We had seen him last January along with the rest of the family, but it is always nice to have a one-on-one chat for a change.  

I have also been texting with my niece in Germany.  She is traveling on business and has an early appointment in the morning, so our Facetime conversation will be postponed until tomorrow.  

A texting session with another niece a couple of days ago, who sent videos and photos of her little ones, as sweet as ever.  

Now Gregg and I are watching golf on the TV and thinking about getting back into the bedroom again to do a little more prep work before we start painting, hopefully next week.  We are nicely relaxed after one of our Blue Apron meals, so we shall see.  There is always tomorrow!





47 comments:

  1. 90 degrees? Already? Nooooo....
    We're going to be in Maryland next month. I guess it's going to be hot and humid. I remember it was almost 100 degrees last year.

    I love all your photos. The waterlilies and turtles are wonderful. It feels cool to look at them. Good luck on your painting! That's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay and sorry to tell you about the heat. I hope it won't be that hot when you visit Maryland.

      Delete
  2. A hummingbird? What a magical thing to see.
    And thank you for taking us back to those beautiful gardens again. They would be blissful to wander through, at any time of the year. I hear you on heat and humidity though. Bleah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was EC, very magical. I'm happy you enjoyed my photos from the garden. Bleah on the humidity, I agree :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos!! Your picture of the leaves turned out beautifully. I see the heart in the shrubbery! These are the best and most clear pictures of fish under water that I have ever seen. And LOOK at the artistic pattern the water is making in picture #7! Turtles are always so cute when they are in line, and the water lily is gorgeous! The bird up on the very top of the roof looks like a decoration that was put there. I don't know if I could get this close to a cicada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, it is a place that is a feast for the eyes. I liked the pattern in the water too. We weren't that close to the cicada, I had the zoom on my lens ;)

      Delete
  4. Turtles, koi and water lilies, oh my, I do like them. Your koi photos have a watercolor look to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Tarra, and I was very pleased how their photos turned out. I had a lucky day.

      Delete
  5. I love when you share the odds and ends that catch your eye ... its the sort of thin I love to do myself and you find wonderful surprises . Happy travels .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, happy traveling to you :)

      Delete
  6. Great shots! Looks like a beautiful place to visit. So nice and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a gardens like this to visit that was close to home. There is just nothing very close...love the turtles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky, it's a car ride but only 45 minutes away.

      Delete
  8. Denise, your photos are absolutely breathtaking! The turtles, the koi, how glorious! And I am familiar with cicadas...:( I associate their presence and 'song' with the high heat and humidity we get here in Montreal every summer. In fact, this is the only time they can be heard. Since the type of heat and humidity we get is something I just cannot handle, whenever I hear the cicadas, it is a warning for me to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, there is always something to see here. Always something I have never noticed before on each visit. I can't handle that humidity either, turns me all kinds of shades of purple, red and white ;) Good tip on the cicadas. I will have to pay attention. Usually when I step outside and hit a wall of heat, I step right back inside and go sit in front of an air conditioning vent :)

      Delete
  9. The Good Lord does wonders with nature, it's always nice to get out and see it. The hummingbirds are neat little creatures, they provide a lot of entertainment for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jimmy, those hummingbirds are certainly magical little creatures.

      Delete
  10. You certainly spotted some neat creatures! A few days ago I was walking the dog and saw two deer in my neighbor's yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a sight I would love to see. I haven't seen any deer around here in quite a while.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes little things catch my eyes too but not always. You have captured the koi beautifully. Three little cute turtles, lined up in one direction with their little heads lifted up. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful gardens to walk in and a great collection of things to photograph. Since I started blogging I am so much more observant!
    We did a lot of painting last year so this year we have a break. Take care and have a wonderful week. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I agree, I seem to look at everything with more observant eyes. You have a wonderful week also :) Denise

      Delete
  13. You have such wonderful wildlife. I am, of course, extremely jealous. About the bird feeding, we are advised by the RSPB to continue feeding throughout the summer months. Apparently nature doesn't supply much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know about feeding Valerie, I might be filling the feeders again, but will take them inside at night so that there is no problem with the larger animals.

      Delete
  14. Hello, Denise! Beautiful images from the gardens. Nature scenes are always lovely. Love the turtles, fish , gorgeous waterlilies and your great heart find. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and the same to you :)

      Delete
  15. your photos of the koi are AMAZING, they look real and the water wet. so much beauty in that garden, and I like finding things in the computer I did not see in the camera... it is good you are close to your family and that they can stop in a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I was real happy with the way they turned out. It's nice looking at our photos on a big screen isn't it? You can find all kinds of surprises when you get home.

      Delete
  16. A really lovely park to explore, Denise...hope you were able to get back there. These pictures are wonderful! Amazing all the wildlife you see in your "built-up" neighborhood! Especially regarding the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, ninety degrees seems quite high to me. But what a beautiful life you have, filled with just the right amount of travel it seems, family drop ins, household projects and fascination for earth’s wonders to keep life interesting and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penelope, I never take any of it for granted. I feel blessed.

      Delete
  18. Oh I'd not be able to walk out the door, in heat and humidity. which is upon us, for a couple of days.

    but you certainly took advantage of this time, on this ramble....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LC, it was fun but wasn't too hot at all that day. With the temperature in the 90s I think of friends who live in even hotter temperatures.

      Delete
  19. That garden is so beautiful!!! I love all of the pretty plants and fish, it's a place where poetry sings I'm sure! I hope you have a wonderful and blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you enjoyed my post on the garden, and that is a lovely way to describe it. I hope your week is wonderful and blessed also :)

      Delete
  20. And I see the source of inspiration!! Lovely tipe of fish; and beautiful water lilies... It must be an amazing place to have moments of relax and calm admiring the stunning nature.
    Thanks for sharing the beauty of nature!
    A very sunny and cozy new week ahead! Alexa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexa and you are so very welcome:) It really is a relaxing place to be, especially when you sit on one of the many benches shaded by overhanging trees. Time to watch and take in everything around you. Enjoy your week also :)

      Delete
  21. Beautiful place to explore, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are experiencing the same weather here, although the temperature at the time I am writing this is in the mid 70s. I have the window open, which both the cat and I are enjoying the cool breeze. I will have to shut the window soon, as it heats up. It seems every time at go for a walk in a park or garden I see something that interests me. Nature is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hot here now Linda, I don't like putting the air conditioning but better that than sweltering in 90 plus heat :) I will have to either get up very early for a walk or wait until the sun goes down :)

      Delete
  23. Just so lovely to see all of your photographs here.
    Wasn't that 'almost a heart-shape' incredible ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, so glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
    2. Gregg took that photo of the heart and I was delighted to see it when I downloaded all the photos on my computer and could see it properly on a big screen.

      Delete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

Also, there are times when I delete by mistake, so if something you have written to me is gone, it's usually because my fingers have pushed the wrong button!