Friday, September 16, 2016

TODAY'S FLOWERS # 423 - September 16th, 2016

When we were walking over Big Meadow along Skyline Drive last month, we came across this interesting plant.  I have never noticed it before.  Fortunately I was able to identify it when browsing through the images at Google Images.  Sometimes when you describe what you are looking for in the subject line, you get lucky.  It doesn't always work out that way but I was happy to find what I needed.  According to this website here it is very toxic.  When I read how toxic it does not sound very good at all.  I'm glad I didn't touch it.  Another reason why I keep my hands off when I go exploring.

Fly Poison

Thank you to all who participate in this meme, and for every comment left.  They are all read with great appreciation. Today's Flowers opens on Friday at 12.00 a.m. and closes the following Thursday at 11.55 p.m.  We welcome blogging friends to add their favorite flowers during that time.  If you think you would like to participate you can read more information at this link



There were plenty of thistles growing on the meadow that day.


I wanted to take a photo of the Silver-spotted Skipper on the Milkweed, but when I looked at the same photo later, I noticed it had company. It actually looked like a bee, but I've never seen a completely black one before.  Or maybe it was the lighting. 


Here is another bee that is more of a normal coloring, and his company is a little ant.


One more shot of the milkweed plant.  This website shares how important Milkweed is to the Monarch Butterfly.  It has a variety of the plants here and from what I saw, to pollinators in general.  I believe the one I found is a Common Milkweed.




Today's Flowers was originally created by Luiz Santilli, Jr. Thank you Luiz!  I am now its host. 



I am also linking with the following memes as they become available, with my thanks to our hosts.  Please click on their names to visit other participants.

Nick at Floral Friday Fotos

Aquariann at Flower Friday

Pamela at Garden Tuesday

Ritta at Floral Passions







29 comments:

  1. A very educational post, Denise, and your photos are gorgeous. It is good that you didn't touch that plant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this poisonous flower in europe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lucky that you kept your hands to yourself. Look but don't touch is often safest isn't it? It is a pretty thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing so much beauty!
    Have a nice day, Frauke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heisann... Have a very nice weekend ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete
  6. grea tpost and loved all the flowers and critter images

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise, you are so right!
    Bei careful when you go to explore the nature. With my kids I definitely should know more about toxic plants.

    Take care - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness...your photos of the flowers and bees are so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The toxic plant looks interesting - I expect wild things know not to east it!
    I've never actually seen a black bee but have come across them recently on European blogs. Thanks for sharing this Denise....

    Happy weekend!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely thistle and insects.. Never seen the first plant, seems, it's not in Europe. - Fly poison? Maybe a witch herb?
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos Denise! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're going to explore Skyline Drive for our anniversary. I will be sure not to touch that plant if I come across it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Up close that milkweed flower looks like a beautiful bouquet. Interesting black bee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yowsa on the fly poison, who would think something so pretty could be so deadly... a lot of plants are that way. you did good to describe it well enough to find it... love the other flowers to and the bad news is that looks like a carpenter bee, they are all black and can make a big mess of a fence or house

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that a bee or a spider? The black one?

    It has fuzzy legs. Do bees have fuzzy legs?

    I know.... Look it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The black one looks scary! Yes, from Michelle (at Ramblingwoods.com) I've learned that milkweed is an important plant for the Monarch butterfly! Beautiful series of photos, Denise! Have a great weekend and "see" you in a few days at Seasons:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great selection of photo's, the colour in them is lovely to see.

    I do agree when out exploring a 'hands off' attitude can be good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Denise, what a good job you kept away from the toxic plant. great image of the Silver-spotted Skipper and the Bee with the Ant is super. Have a good weekend. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful photos, great advice to keep our hands off!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing about the fly poison, that's quite scary.

    Your milkweed images are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. David and I used to drive Skyline to get to points south, and I love Big Meadow. I think its so great there are open areas along the Eastern Flyway for migratory birds and butterflies (thanks the FDR). I think ants and bes are enemies. maybe you found a new specoes of bee?

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always your photos are fantastic !!
    Happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  23. You wise approach to nature is to be emulated. Perhaps it is your respectful love of her that yeilds such nice photos to your eye, D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Denise, Fly Poison, an interesting find. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another stunning post. I love the close ups. The eyes of the skipper are amazing!! Thankyou for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite Denise, away from home at moment so it took a little while! Have a wonderful week :)

      Delete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

Also, there are times when I delete by mistake, so if something you have written to me is gone, it's usually because my fingers have pushed the wrong button!