The last time we were in Virginia Beach, we visited Pleasure House Point Natural Area. This house was across the water but I saw the fences and so my first two photos are for....
The pine cones are decorating the trees in great numbers.
The sun wasn't too far from setting.
All about nature.
1) "There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not man the less but Nature more."
2. "The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough."
3) "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."
4) "Trees love to toss and sway; they make such happy noises."
5) "A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine."
For the following as they become available.
I saw a flock of Black Skimmers flying low to the water. They were far off so I had to crop the above photo.
When we saw that the tide was in, we realized there would be no wading birds to observe. I was disappointed but I didn't take into account that the Yellow-crowned Night Herons would be finding a place to roost for the night.
We rounded the corner of the path and there it was, not ten feet away. Another Yellow-Crowned Night Heron. It didn't seem to mind us too much, though kept a wary eye just in case, and once hopping from one side of the tree to the other. We again found it as we made our way along the path, and very happy to find it still quite close. I took a whole bunch of photos (I will share them another time). We didn't stay but a few seconds more. We were grateful for this gift but didn't want to disturb it any longer. I didn't expect to see such a beautiful bird as close as it was.
You can visit all the memes by clicking on their names in this post. My thanks to all our hosts for bringing them to us.