1) One of my favorite things to do when out and about, is being among trees and looking up through their branches at a blue sky filled with soft, billowy clouds.
2) I have sometimes wondered what it would be like to live in a big fancy house such as Oatlands Plantation. Just wondered that is. Truth be told I would love an old rustic cabin (or a thatched cottage) in the woods.
3) When I was very young we knew a lovely couple long since gone. The friend of my dad's was a chauffeur to someone who lived in a much bigger house than this one, and much older. Whether the residents were part of the aristocracy, I have no clue. I remember visiting this couple when I was a child with my mum and dad and my sister. My dad would drive through the big gates and the driveway went on for a mile or so. He would joke about being invited to tea by the lord and lady of the manor, said in quite a serious tone, and we would laugh at the preposterousness of it, for as soon as we drew near that old mansion, there was a road that took us around the back where our friends lived on the estate. I remember chickens running around and again, truth be told, I can't remember if this is fact (about the chickens), but the memory of them seems to stick.
4) You can just make out an old wishing well in the photo below. The hole was covered in a heavy, wrought iron grid, but you could look down into the blackness. I wondered how deep it was. It seemed to go on forever.
5) Years ago we lived in Newport, Rhode Island, for about a year There were 'summer cottages' along the cliffs. You can see them here. I don't really remember much about them but maybe we'll go back and have a look again one day.
It certainly was a beautiful day when we visited Oatlands.