Monday, June 6, 2016

MONDAY RECIPE POST - THAI CHICKEN RAMEN


It has been a while since I tried a new recipe.  Not sure if this will be a weekly effort but any new ones that I make and like, I will put on here for a quick go-to file.

The weather is getting hotter and the humidity, though not high, is enough for me to take notice.  I can see there will be a lot of salads on the table, and as life is even more particularly busy right now, these will be nutritious but thrown on a plate without much thought.  

You might be getting the idea that we love Thai food around here.  I found my recipe at Cooking Classy and you can see the original post at this link.  

Thai Chicken Ramen  -  4 servings

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced, then diced into 1-1/2 inch pieces
1 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
4 green onions, divided and sliced (3 to be used in soup and 1 for garnish)
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
4 cups water
1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 (3.53 oz) pkgs. Nissin RAOH Umami Tonkotsu Flavor
10 ozs. cooked chicken breast, shredded (from 1 lb. raw, once cooked it reduces to 10 ozs.)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro, divided
Unsalted peanuts and sesame seeds for garnish (optional)

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  

Add bell pepper, carrots and 3 of the green onions. Saute 1 minute, then add Thai green curry paste and saute 1 minute longer.  

Stir in water and coconut milk and fish sauce. 

Bring mixture to a boil.  

Add the ramen, cover pot and boil for 4 minutes, stirring once halfway through.  

Meanwhile add seasoning packets from Ramen to a bowl.  Ladle out 1 cup of the water mixture from soup and stir into seasonings in bowl, then return to the pot.  

Stir in the shredded chicken, lime juice and 1/4 cup of the cilantro.  

Divide among 4 bowls, then top with more cilantro, remaining green onion, peanuts and sesame seeds.

Serve immediately.



Result?  It was very tasty and will be made again.  I did make a few changes though.  Instead of using the Cilantro I used Thai Sweet Basil.  Also, as there is a great Asian Supermarket close to us, I looked for the Nissin RAOH Umami Tonkotsu Flavor but they didn't have it. As there was a large variety, I took a chance and chose this one, because it is a non-fried version, just like the one in Jaclyn's recipe.  



realize it probably changed the flavor dramatically, but it turned out great.

Thank you Jaclyn for this delicious recipe.  I will try it again using the ingredients you recommended next time, as I am curious to see how the flavor changes.  Please visit Cooking Classy as there are a lot of wonderful recipes for you to try.

11 comments:

  1. It looks great! And I love Ramen recipes. You can do so much with it. I even make Ramen egg foo young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fond of Thai food too. It always tastes fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, I love Thai food. My first experience of it was on board ship and even Joe liked it... that was a surprise because he usually shied away from what he called foreign rubbish. I have never tried to prepare Thai recipes - always relied on their restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummmm que maravilha deliciosa.
    Um abraço e boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very enticing. I may try it. I had a bad episode of GERD the other night following a Thai meal, however, it included hot peppers. Your recipe looks harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to see a new recipe and if the outcome is delicious, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And devour faster than immediately! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a really nice dish! Thank you so much for sharing, Denise. Take care of yourself in the heat. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great, and I also the colour of those dishes!

    I'm with you on salads when the temperature warms up, sometimes salads are just what is needed!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

Also, there are times when I delete by mistake, so if something you have written to me is gone, it's usually because my fingers have pushed the wrong button!