Wednesday, May 18, 2016

ANIMALS SEEN AT HUNT CLUB FARM, VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA


All these animals, and more, were at The Hunt Club Farm (Virginia Beach, Virginia) when we visited last Saturday.  
































Peekaboo!





1)  I saw dozens of Great Blue Herons below us as we crossed the bridge in Fredericksburg recently. The water was low and no doubt the fish were plentiful.  No photos but what a lovely sight they were and gone in a few moments as we drove over the bridge, with the traffic going slow enough to see but too fast to stop, if you know what I mean.  (I also saw three fishermen in the distance.)  An idyllic scene for the mind's eye and not a camera lens.  I have never seen Great Blue Herons en masse before, just one on its own occasionally.  Fun to see this many standing on the rocks across the river.  My neck was swiveling to see them as long as I could. 

2)   On the return journey a few days later, just before we entered the Hampton-Roads Tunnel, there were dozens of Terns hovering overhead.  Another amazing sight but again no photos.  We entered the tunnel and that was that.

3)   We visited the family over the weekend. Always good to catch up with what everyone has been doing since our last time together.  Along with the adults we got to see the two youngest members of our family, five years and one year. Both adorable and growing fast.  There was also a nephew who graduated college this weekend. A heartfelt congratulations to him, and to our niece, nephew and great nephew, a new adventure begins.  So exciting for them and Bon Voyage to a lovely young family. 

4)  And talking about lovely young families, we were invited to our great-niece's 5th birthday party.  It was fun to see her with all her little friends, mostly girls but two boys also attended. They were all so darned cute and we were amazed at how very polite and well behaved they all were. There were many activities to keep them busy, pony rides and lots of animals, some baby ones in a petting area.   

5)  Well, guess what folks?  Krispy Kreme is opening up a store only a short car ride away. It will be ready in the summer.  Now, I know there are two trains of thought between them and Dunkin' Doughnuts, depending if you are a Northerner or a Southerner.   The only doughnut I ever got growing up in England was filled with strawberry jam and rolled in sugar when they were still warm, and only a rare treat and absolutely delicious. Gregg introduced me to Krispy Kreme when I arrived in the States over 40 years ago.  Always thought it was a good job that we had to travel 30 miles to our closest when we visited one of our favorite parks, or 200 miles when we visited the family, still a rare treat. Yes they do sell them boxed in the grocery store but they are just not the same and we never buy them.   But hot off the conveyor belt just down the road?   


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  

Will-power, get thee in front of me!  And yes I noticed that the longest paragraph in my Friday Five is all about doughnuts.  'Tis the way of things today. 



Have a great weekend everyone, and thank you for all the comments you make.  I always appreciate them. 



I am sharing with the following memes as they become available, with my thanks to all our hosts for bringing them to us.  If you click on their names you can visit other participants.

Theresa at Good Fences
Tanya at Willy-Nilly Friday Five
Nancy at Random Five Friday
Eileen at Saturday's Critters
Misty at Camera Critters



31 comments:

  1. I have only tried Krispy Kreme once - and couldn't finish it. Toooo sweet for me.
    Good luck - but you know that 'resistence is futile'.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all thegorgeous portrait shots of these many animals. The horses are so handsome.. bit too far for me to go to get one of the Doughbnuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excelentes fotografias destes belos animais.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krispy Kreme sounds familiar. Wonder where I've come across it before. Loved the animal pictures and ... oh everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos of all those cute critters Denise! Loved the 'peekaboo' shots and the llama close up.
    As for Krispy Kreme donuts...they are the best and we always look forward to them on our vacation...6 weeks to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first horse is particularly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Denise. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your family and saw some great birds along the way. I love all the farm animals, they are all so darn cute. Krispy Kreme donuts are yummy.Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. long time no speak as they say!!! I find Krispy Kreme too sweet for me. Love the horse photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Denise!:) Lovely captures of all the critters, cute llama, and beekaboo shots, and the horses look good with their sleek shiny coats.
    My hubby Americo loves Doughnuts, and buys them every week. I'm more of a biscuit gal!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love KK donuts, always have and always will and am glad there is not one close... i love the animals on the farm and am a tad jealous. i would love to visit there...
    it is so true that some things we see can not be captured with camera... it has to do with sound and feeling as much as sight.. once we were on a trail through flat land, with tall grasses, about knee heights. not trees, nothing in sight. suddenly a bout 1000 birds lifted up from the grasses, they were every where.. it was awesom and id did not even try for a photo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You bring out great animal shots, D!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That peekaboo shot is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh, I love Krispy Kreme donuts right off the conveyor belt, too. But, it's located on Maui, so we can't get them. Love the photos of the horses, my favorite animal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to be honest, I am not keen on doughnuts at all, but I have tried Krispy Creme, out of curiosity once, and they didn't really appeal to me. However, I am very happy for you, Denise, that you will have one close to you and that you enjoy them so much! Your photos are gorgeous, and I especially loved the closeups! Thank you so much for sharing, and warm hugs and much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My brother visits about once a month and always brings jam donuts. They used to be from the bakery near our first house but they unfortunately closed down and he buys them from a local bakers when he visits now. I am just going to look up the heron to see what it is like. The goats look cute.
    Don
    Dont forget my new blog http://disableddon.blogspot.co.uk/
    I am not using the Promote Thanet one any more XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet. I love the horse with the white mane ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful collection of animal shots. The first horse is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do not care for KC donuts. But, that horse is truly a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our church held a picnic at Hunt Club Farm last year (I think). We were out of town that weekend and missed it. Great photos. We have both Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts here, along with some new start-ups. Donuts are big business here! My husband goes there for coffee, and I try to stay as far away as possible! LOL I do like a Boston Cream doughnut occasionally. I'll have to keep an eye open when we're in Fredericksburg for those herons! There's a pond behind my daughter's house, and that's the first place we ever saw a Great Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just commenting today on Good Fences but I'll be back for Random5.
    Loved all the wonderful animals you saw behind fences. They made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Krispy Kreme ... Oh, my! Loved all the animals you saw at the Hunt Club Farm -- looks like fun. Herons and terns and visiting family. You have been busy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all of your photos . . and, I rarely thing of doughnuts - but, you've reminded me of the bakery truck that used to visit our home . . IF my parents placed an official sign in the window with a beautiful blue "H" - the Helms bakery truck would pull into the driveway and honk - and parents only - would go outside and bring back fresh treats - my personal favorite was powdered sugar all over the outside and lemon inside . . yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is just nothing like a warm Krispy Kreme! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They put a Krispy Kreme in our area but it did not do well and closed. I always like to have options around, but I prefer the local breakfast shop's eggs and hash browns if I am going out for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Denise, I just wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up and sharing your critter post. Beautiful animals. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Photo #6 a bit intimidating; looks ready to spring. Wonderful photos - all.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm diabetic so all my doughnuts are in my past - but YES I remember how good they were!
    Love all the animals (including the pig!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post and lovely photography of nature beautiful critters ~ love them all! Other great photos too!

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some great animal photos & I especially like the Black & Tan Goat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful photos of all the animals. Looks like you had a great time visiting.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

Also, there are times when I delete by mistake, so if something you have written to me is gone, it's usually because my fingers have pushed the wrong button!