Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Red-footed Booby at Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge on Kauai.


I am very happy to be working on my laptop, thanks to the never ending patience of my dear husband who worked hard so that I could be online tonight.  There are changes that I am dealing with, a few frustrations, a few hiccups within the machine, but he sorted them all out as they occurred.  Very grateful that I am on my laptop and blogging again, thanks Hun!





While I am putting together one of my longer posts, I wanted to share one of the birds I saw on vacation, and am happy to be linking with Anni's, Michelle's and Stewart's fun memes again.





This is my first sighting of the Red-footed Booby.  I found them on Kauai at the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge.  I will go into more detail in a later post about this area.  We were amazed to see so many of them on this very steep hillside called Crater Hill.



We couldn't get that close but we were happy to get these photos of them in flight, and the photo below is an information board near the lighthouse.



The Red-footed Booby is the smallest member of the booby and gannet family, and grows 28 inches in length and has a wingspan of up to 3.3 feet.  As its name implies, it has red legs and its bill and throat pouch are colored pink and blue.  Both male and female are similar, and juveniles are brownish with darker wings and pale pinkish legs, while their chicks are covered in dense white down.

~~~~~~

You can see other participants by visiting their links.

Anni at Bird D'Pot
Michelle at Nature Notes

25 comments:

  1. Excellent photos of the birds in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sightings. You got good scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely things. Shame about their name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, these images are amazing. To see a Booby and then to watching them fly off the cliff side and get a photo of it for record....well, color me GREEN with ENVY!!!

    Thank you Denise for sharing/adding your link to this for us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin'. And glad to know you and your ever working hubby got your laptop fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Denise! Very cool sighting of the Red-footed Booby. They are cool birds. Great psot and photos. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kauai is a bird paradise. Set aside long ago, the island thrives... You probably wrote somewhere and i missed it, but Kauai is where South Pacific was filmed. Even in the 1950s the islands had changed so much since WWII they had to find a more remote place for filming than Oahu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous and captivating photos of this red footed booby, Denise! I have seen photos of the blue footed booby, but seeing the red footed booby is a first for me. Great captures of the flight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's wonderful to have an electronic wiz in the house. i depend on my kids, who now that they are so smart, don't live here anymore. i must lure them with amazing dinners, lightly mention my woes, say i don't want them to try to help me and then cross my fingers that they will......all the time knowing it is the only reason i invited them to dinner!!!! hehehehe

    beautiful images....i am trying so hard to adjust to and learn how to work on my new Mac!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were smart to save your photos on a memory stick and also those camera cards. Love your photos. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Red-footed Boobie against that blue sky ... just wonderful to look at.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice sightings! Glad your computer problems are solved! Helps to have a brilliant husband doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. a beutiful bird and I LOVE the sign... they are so cute sitting there. awesome views. wow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos indeed, warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is a lot of Boobies on that hillside!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely images! It's always nice to have such personal tech support.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard of the booby but have not seen one in a photo. I am glad you got online. My old laptop needs to be replaced, but I hate getting used to something new...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like they have found a spot that's agreeable to all. Amazing they are the SMALLEST! They sound mighty BIG to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was sort thinking the same thing...if 28 inches is the smallest, then I definitely need to look to see what size the others are. Always something interesting in blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous shots! So glad you have the laptop with you and that your hubby knows how to troubleshoot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great addition to your photography files!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How nice to see this species of bird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!